Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Trey Hendrickson didn't need long to get in the media and publicly respond to the team about his contract saga.
Appearing on Wednesday's show with Pat McAfee, Hendrickson said that communication from the team about his status and contract has been "poor" so far this offseason.
Hendrickson's comments come roughly a day after Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn told the Cincinnati Enquirer's Kelsey Conway that contract extension negotiations are now in the defensive end's hands.
“I think he should be happy at certain rates that maybe he doesn't think he'd be happy at,” Blackburn said, according to Conway. “I think some of it is on him to be happy at some point, and if he's not, you know, that's what holds it up sometimes. So, you know, it takes him to say yes to something, and also, we have all the respect in the world for him. He's been a great player. We're happy to have him. And so maybe we'll find a way to get something to work. We're just gonna see where it goes.”
According to Conway, Hendrickson said on Wednesday that he was told he would get a new contract this offseason. He also stressed that he doesn't want a short extension or to sign a deal that features incentives out of his control.
The Bengals granted Hendrickson and his reps permission to seek a trade but the market quickly dried up due to the team's asking price and the pass-rusher's contract demands, among other factors.
Since, the Bengals and Hendrickson have been at a standstill on extension talks, which could bleed into the spring and summer like they threatened to do last year.
This article originally appeared on Bengals Wire: Trey Hendrickson responds after Bengals comment on contract saga