There may not be many changes coming on the offensive line for the San Francisco 49ers.
Left guard Aaron Banks left in free agency which opened a hole at that position, but there's been some perception that center Jake Brendel and right tackle Colton McKivitz could also be in danger of losing their starting spots.
General manager John Lynch on Monday indicated the team was happy with their starting OL, and head coach Kyle Shanahan on Tuesday specifically touted Brendel's play during his three years as the 49ers' starter and said there won't be any competition at center in the offseason.
"I don't really look at it going in as Jake's competing," Shanahan said at the NFL's annual league meeting. "I think Jake's played at a pretty high level. I think our whole O-line has. It's gonna be hard losing Banks. It's really hard losing Jaylon Moore's who's been a great swing tackle who's gotten to play a lot with Trent (Williams) being down half of last year. So those are the things we've really gotta look to replace."
This is more evidence the 49ers aren't likely to select an offensive lineman in the first round of this year's draft. While the outside perception says they need major upgrades, the GM and head coach have both backed their starting five. Perhaps they view replacing Williams as a need worth addressing in Round 1 when they're picking No. 11 overall, but it doesn't sound like they're eager to find an offensive lineman who will fill a starting job in 2025.
This article originally appeared on Niners Wire: 49ers C Jake Brendel won't face competition for starting job