‘I see progress’: Indiana football’s offensive line not letting injuries derail spring practice goals

BLOOMINGTON — Indiana football’s offensive line had a lot to say about the program’s historic success last season.

The Hoosiers only gave up 11 sacks during their 10-0 start and didn’t allow a single sack in five of those wins. The group allowed fewer quarterback pressures last season (86) than they did through six games of 2023 (87).

There was a noticeable decline in performance late — the season-ending injury that starting left guard Drew Evans didn’t help — and IU coach Curt Cignetti went into the offseason looking to bolster their talent and depth up front.

Indiana had success in the portal by landing Notre Dame center Pat Coogan (26 career starts), Ohio State tackle Zen Michalski (a former 4-star prospect) and Colorado guard Kahlil Benson (21 career starts). Benson is a familiar face having spent four seasons in Bloomington as a member of the 2020 IU signing class.

Cignetti offered his thoughts on the state of the offensive line Tuesday after the team's sixth spring practice.

"I see progress,” Cignetti said. “Coogan is making progress, Carter Smith has got to get better. They all got to get better, right? All of them.”

Indiana’s new quarterback Fernando Mendoza was more effusive when he talked about the offensive line last week. Mendoza was sacked 40 times last season at Cal — third most in the FBS — and pressured on 156 of his 460 dropbacks.

“I could go on and on about all of those guys,” Mendoza said. “Those are all phenomenal players, and I have a ton of time [to throw the ball]. Quite honestly it is a little more time than I am used to, I would say. But it has been great, and I have had great offensive lines in the past, and I am blessed to have an amazing offensive line this year."

There have been some roadblocks for the line this spring.

Evan’s Achilles injury will sideline him until the fall — Cignetti hasn't offered an exact timeline for his return — and Benson is out with an undisclosed injury. Indiana backup guard Austin Leibfried broke his hand during spring camp, but is playing through the injury.

“He’s in a big hand cast and that's limiting him a little bit right now,” Cignetti said.

Save Story