Yankees’ Giancarlo Stanton declines to blame torpedo bats for elbow injuries, gives rehab update

NEW YORK — Giancarlo Stanton embraced the torpedo bats long before they became the talk of MLB.

The Yankees slugger used the bowling-pin-shaped bats last season, including during a torrid playoff run in which he struck seven home runs in 14 games.

“It’s something that makes a lot of sense, but why hasn’t anyone thought of it in 100-plus years?” Stanton said Tuesday of the torpedo bats, which feature elongated barrels that can help hitters make hard contact more regularly.

“It’s explained simply, and then you try it.”

The bats commanded national attention during the Yankees’ home-run barrage against the Milwaukee Brewers over the weekend, during which Anthony Volpe, Cody Bellinger, Paul Goldschmidt, Jazz Chisholm Jr. and Austin Wells all went deep using torpedo models.

On Tuesday, Stanton was asked whether he believes using the non-traditional bat model contributed to the tennis elbow he’s dealing with in both arms. Stanton had said during spring training that “bat adjustments” may have caused the injuries, which continue to delay his start to the season.

But Stanton declined to blame the torpedo bats.

“You’re not going to get the story you’re looking for,” Stanton said Tuesday. “So if that’s what you guys want, that ain’t going to happen.”

Stanton, 35, plans to continue using a torpedo bat once he returns from the injured list.

And while the timeline for his return remains uncertain, Stanton said his elbows are feeling “better” after he received three rounds of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections during spring training.

He’s now been hitting off of the Trajekt machine, a high-speed pitching simulator.

“Grip strength is getting better, so I’m getting as many at-bats as I can off the Trajekt to catch up,” Stanton said.

Stanton, who hit 24 home runs with a .773 OPS last season, did not appear in a game this spring.

He said he is still dealing with pain in his elbows, reiterating that’s a “constant” he will have to manage even when he returns.

Stanton said he will need minor league at-bats before he returns to the Yankees. He does not know, however, when a rehab assignment might begin or how many at-bats he will need.

“This is very unique, Stanton said. “I definitely haven’t missed a full spring before. It will just depend [on] my timing, really, [and] how fast I can feel comfortable in the box versus live pitching.”

The Yankees have been encouraged by Stanton’s progress, manager Aaron Boone said last week.

“He’s doing pretty well,” Boone said on Opening Day. “We’ve all been encouraged by the last couple of weeks. Still no timetable on anything, but he’s been able to swing the bat and feel like there’s been some steady improvement day after day.”

Save Story