The questions around De Bruyne's Man City departure

Kevin de Bruyne
Kevin de Bruyne has won six Premier League titles with Manchester City [Getty Images]

Kevin de Bruyne has announced he will leave Manchester City after 10 years when his contract expires at the end of the season.

De Bruyne, who turns 34 in June, has won 16 trophies since joining City from Wolfsburg in 2015, including six Premier League titles and the Champions League in 2023.

The Belgium international has been labelled "one of the greatest midfielders to ever play in this country" by his manager Pep Guardiola.

But his announcement on Friday does raise several questions, which BBC Sport attempts to address.

Whose decision was it?

Pep Guardiola and technical director Txiki Begiristain.

When he talks about contracts, Guardiola usually says it is a 'club' decision and passes on responsibility to those above him. On this occasion, he is owning it.

"It was not easy for me to tell him it won't continue," Guardiola told the media at his scheduled pre-match news conference before Sunday's Manchester derby at Old Trafford.

That statement reinforces De Bruyne's own words in his social media post: "Whether we like it or not, it's time to say goodbye."

What is not absolutely clear is what the key factors were in the decision to sever ties.

De Bruyne is one of the Premier League's highest earners. It was impossible to imagine City would offer an extension on the same £400,000-a-week terms. They are also pretty good at playing hardball, as former captain Ilkay Gundogan found out in 2023 when City refused to buckle over the Germany midfielder's demands for a two-year deal.

De Bruyne has been a shadow of his usual self this season. By common consent, he has not had a game-changing influence since the victory at Newcastle in January 2024, when he came off the bench to score one and create another, turning a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 victory.

His four goals and seven assists in all competitions this season is down on normal levels. He last scored against Championship side Plymouth in the FA Cup last month. The last two of his six Premier League assists came in a 6-0 win against relegation-threatened Ipswich in January.

Guardiola has admitted this season he was probably wrong to remain loyal to his core squad last summer. Was that the deciding factor, or was it deemed demeaning to offer De Bruyne an extension on far less than he is earning now?

Kevin de Bruyne hugs Pep Guardiola
Pep Guardiola says De Bruyne is "one of the greatest midfielders to ever play in this country" [Getty Images]

Where next?

De Bruyne's representatives have previously spoken with clubs from the Saudi Pro League, so contact in that direction is established.

But there was also concrete interest from Major League Soccer's 2025 expansion club San Diego FC before the new season.

Both options are ...

Save Story