DORAL — Brooks Koepka once again downplayed Freddie Couples' recent comments that the Jupiter resident wants to return to the PGA Tour. But he stopped short of committing publicly to LIV Golf long term.
Koepka was asked Wednesday ahead of this week's LIV Golf event outside of Miami if there was any truth to Couples' statement. Koepka claimed to not have known what Couples said, this after addressing it three weeks ago in Singapore and saying Couples texted him to make him aware of what he said.
"I talk to Freddie a lot," Koepka said Wednesday. "I talk to all the guys quite a bit. But I actually had no idea of what exactly he said. Freddie texted me, said this is out. I said, 'OK, it's whatever.'
"Everybody else seems to know more about what I want to do than I do."
Koepka was asked if he would like to return to the PGA Tour at the end of his LIV contract, which is believed to run through 2026.
"I have no idea," he said. "I'm playing this week. … I think you all are focused on it much more than I am."
Koepka was asked the same question last month in Singapore.
“I don’t know where I’m going, so I don't know how everybody else does,” he said then. “Right now I’m just focused on how do I play better, how do I play better in the majors, how does this team win, and then we’ll figure out next year and how to play better again. It’s the same thing. It’s just a revolving cycle."
During a radio interview one month ago, Couples said, “I talk to Brooks Koepka all the time … he wants to come back. I will say that I believe he really wants to come back and play the Tour.”
LIV's Phil Mickelson called Couples’ comments a “jerk move” in a social media post he later deleted.
Tom D'Angelo is a senior sports columnist and reporter for The Palm Beach Post. He can be reached at tdangelo@pbpost.com.
This article originally appeared on Palm Beach Post: Jupiter's Brooks Koepka still noncommittal on his LIV Golf future